[OPLINTECH] FOG - http://fogproject.org/ [cloning]

Chip Kruthoffer c.kruthoffer at lanepl.org
Mon Jan 5 08:56:31 EST 2009

Clonezilla was recently discussed on the list. I wanted to put a plug in for
FOG (http://fogproject.org/), another free open source cloning solution.
We're running it on Ubuntu 8.10 on an older server. It offers a web-based
admin page and was very easy to setup. We had it installed and cloning 15
Dell GX150s in only a few hours. By far, my best experience with an
open-source product in terms of ease of installation and usability.

There is a installation video for Ubuntu 8.10 on YouTube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvltHkAtW2A&fmt=18

Here is an basic introductory article:
http://coeexchange.com/?p=3

Clonezilla may well be more robust. I got frustrated with it and gave up.
FOG met our need for easily managing cloned Windows drives. The only gotcha
was the need to add a couple of DHCP options on our Windows DHCP server to
point PXE-booting machines to the FOG server. You can use FOG's built in
DHCP server, but we didn't want to add another DHCP server.

--
Chip Kruthoffer, Systems Manager
Lane Public Library ~ http://www.lanepl.org