[OPLINTECH] Anyone got Windows 7?

Paul Lima paul.lima at ritter.lib.oh.us
Wed Jan 14 14:36:17 EST 2009

Anyone who is interested in trying it out should be sure to install this patch for it, available at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961367. It fixes the issue Jim mentioned with Windows Media Player.

I've been using the 64-bit version at home and found it very simple to install. It detected all my drivers and installed them with the exception of my Nvidia video card, which was solved with a quick trip to Windows Update. Probably the quickest single system install I've ever had to do, and setup was similarly easy. A half hour in total, and very few prompts so you can just step away while it installs.

It's very smooth and fast on my system, and the UI changes are nice so far. A nice rundown can be found here: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/windows-7-beta.ars and this MSDN blog has some neat less obvious improvements as well: http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2009/01/12/the-bumper-list-of-windows-7-secrets.aspx

So far it has been stable and played nicely with some previously installed software I carried over from XP 32-bit. I'm hesitant to try it at work just yet, in case some major system bug crops up, but overall it's much improved over XP.

Paul Lima
Technology Manager
Ritter Public Library
5680 Liberty Avenue