[OPLINTECH] Internet Service Providers

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Thu Jan 22 10:47:23 EST 2009

I too am assuming you want to trouble shoot remote patron authentication
problems ....

You could set up an ssh server at another location and use it for a sox
proxy.
http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/12/08/ssh-tunnel-socks-proxy-forwarding-secure-browsing/ - for linux
http://www.buzzsurf.com/surfatwork/ - for windows

I do this on occasion using my home internet connection.

Another option if you already have a broadband provider for your library
would be to see how many ip address come with your service and how many
you are currently using. For example with my cable modem at home I can
get a total of 3 dynamically assigned ip address from my internet
provider. At work we have 3 static IP addresses of which we are only
using 1. I can assign one of the static IP addresses to a computer or to
a small for home use router and then connect more than 1 computer to it
and it also provides some protection from the internet for the computer.
This works long as the IP address that is being used isn't "registered"
with any database provider or remote authentication system as being at
the library so it will act the same as if you was at home or using a sox
proxy.

If an additional IP address was coupled with an ssh server to use for a
sox proxy, then it could be used at multiple locations or with different
computers for troubleshooting remote authentication problems.

I find it personally easier to use the sox proxy method with my home
internet connection vs setting up a router/pc with an unused IP address
when I need to troubleshoot remote patron authentication. I also use the
sox proxy method other places like public wifi spots with my laptop as
well.

I hope this helps,

-Ed Liddle