[OPLINTECH] Bandwidth use

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Jul 17 14:57:51 EDT 2009

(I'm following-up this thread on the OPLINTECH list rather than the
OPLINLIST...)

When I configure IPCOP, I'm simply enabling the transparent HTTP proxy
and configuring the built-in software (squid), which caches static HTTP
requests and whatever else it can. The Update Accelerator plug-in simply
enhances the cache by configuring squid to watch for files of the
specific types listed by Bob (Microsoft, Linux updates, Symantec, Trend,
etc.). It works very, very well if you have a large hard drive and a
decent amount of memory to give to the IPCOP box. (Think 2-4GB RAM and
80GB HD for moderate Internet traffic...any new-ish computer would
probably do.) Completely transparent to the end user and easy enough to
configure. Since it's a local cache, the first Microsoft Update (for
example) is downloaded at normal Internet speeds. Subsequent downloads
of the same patch get served to the other workstations as fast as your
IPCOP hardware and local LAN speeds permit. No additional Internet
traffic generated beyond the first download.

What's really going to kill us, though, is streaming audio/video. Even
with traffic shaping, that's going to be tougher and tougher to deal
with as time marches on. That type of content doesn't always cache well
without specific intent to do so.

Regarding pfSense:  I don't know anything about pfSense other than the
name and the distro, but if you have the time and inclination you could
see if pfSense makes use of squid. There's probably a good chance it
does. If so, you could possibly modify it to do the same thing the
Update Accelerator does for IPCOP. Possibly someone has already done the
work...

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --