[OPLINTECH] Building question: isolated ground or at least separate circuits, and built-in surge protection

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Jul 20 22:20:07 EDT 2009

Excellent questions! With the exception of the server room and/or wiring
closets:

Speaking from my own experience and observations, I'd suggest not paying
particular attention to having isolated grounds or even necessarily
isolated circuits for your general use patron and staff computers.
Naturally, however, DO pay attention to the estimated load on each
circuit. If it's intended to have a large number of workstation at a
particular location (a lab, for instance), then of course you'll need to
figure out how many computers you can have on one circuit and then have
enough circuits run to keep your load WELL below the maximum loads. Same
goes for anywhere that you know you are going to have devices (computer
or otherwise) that draw power. This is an interesting read I stumbled
upon with a quick Google search about IG systems and how they might NOT
work as you might think. I suppose this could affect its use in a server
room as well and worth investigating further, probably best with a
full-blooded electrical/electronics engineer:

http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_demystifying_isolated_grounded/index.html

Definitely food for thought, especially when you factor in the added
costs of an IG system.

As for whole-building surge suppression, it would seem that a
whole-building surge suppressor is a good way to go, but it would be
wise not to rely on it completely. You should still use point-of-use
surge suppressors to protect your more valuable items...computers,
electronics, all the normal stuff, etc. You'll have to work with your
general/electrical contractor to work out if you want circuit-based
suppression or whole-building and to find out what options are available
to you. While I don't know what commercial-grade whole-building surge
suppressors are available, I suspect that you just might find the cost
to be perfectly acceptable as a one-time cost insurance policy. (If
lightning were to strike within 1/2 mile from the library, how many
devices are plugged in 24/7 that might get fried or degraded. When the
power goes out, or more specifically, when it comes back on again and
"yo-yos" as it often will...how many devices are having their lifespans
degraded and what is the cost to replace/repair those items? Think
refrigerator, furnace control system, dishwasher, alarm
system...anything electronic...) As for how common it is...Well, amongst
my own library clients, not a single one currently has a whole-building
or whole-circuit surge suppression. I can quickly name several clients
that might have benefited from it, however!

Also consider the fact that your phone system is expensive/important and
that power surges can travel just as readily into your library via a
telephone line. If you protect the lines at the point they enter your
building you just might save yourself a major expense and headache down
the road. Again...I have several libraries that pop to mind here
too...and, at the time, those each had only 3-4 analog phone lines that
could easily have been protected with off-the-shelf protection just
before they entered the multi-thousand dollar phone systems...for under
$150 total. Those were hard-earned lessons! Actually, I think Bob Neeper
might have been around for one of these incidents. He can attest to this
one!

Same with network data cables...You can get surge suppressed rack-mount
data ports to replace your "normal" rack-mount ports. But last time I
looked, they weren't particularly cheap. Unless you have a smallish
number of computers, you might be limited to protecting select
computers. Seven or eight years ago Hurt/Battelle Memorial Library was
hit with a direct lightning strike. At the time they had about 26
six(ish)-month old computers. All but four or five had immediate damage
to the network cards, with the mainboards failing completely shortly
after. Having dutifully protected every computer with good surge
suppressors, none of the power supplies failed during the period the
computers remained in sporadic use. Thank goodness for good insurance!!!

Good luck!
Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --