[OPLINTECH] print and copier costs

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Tue Jul 28 11:38:52 EDT 2009

This is beyond your question but...

My first thought: buy quality printers.
  As they should last a long time the h/w cost per page will be low.
Second:  get someone else to pay for them.
Third: if possible, do your own maintenance.
Forth, as they age watch the OPLIN list for free consumables (or even
identical printers).

An example
We bought about 6 HP6L Laser jet's before 1997
We bought 3 HP2000C's  (color) about 1999
Almost are still in service.
Over 300k pages printed on the HP2000C's

Last year we did get 2 new Ricoh's on a grant.
We only pay a per print cost, no consumable or maintenance cost.
They default to b/w as the color costs us a bit more.

We have always charged 15 cents per page. Color or b/w.
Paying has always been on the honor system but we seem to still be ahead.

Straight math determined our per page cost.
Used the paper and ink (or toner) cartridge cost.
Also the estimated printed pages per cartridge.
Threw in an guesstimated h/w amortization cost per page
Determined a per page cost
Then added a large safety factor.

To make things better I was able to get free paper at OfficeMax for a
long time.
Did any printer maintenance myself. And it wasn't a lot.

R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074
Tel:  (740)-965-3901