[OPLINTECH] Digitizing Local books

F. Jay Barkey barkeyja at oplin.org
Wed Jun 3 15:07:04 EDT 2009

We have 15-20 booklets that contain local history and interest
articles.  We had several sets of them but some have disappeared over
the years from our reference section.

While we still have a complete set, we are thinking about scanning those
to create electronic versions.  Our copier scans very cleanly to PDF and
then eventually we would convert them by OCR to searchable documents,
which will require some editing.

Has anyone tried such a project?  If so, should we scan the entire book
(~50 pages) as one item, scan by article or by page?

Any suggestions, comments, problems or things we should consider would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

--
F. Jay Barkey
Asst. Director / Information Technology Librarian
mailto:barkeyja at oplin.org
http://adamsco.lib.oh.us