[OPLINTECH] Public Access Computer purchases

Phil Shirley pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Tue Mar 17 11:02:43 EDT 2009

Not low-profile or all in one, but: We recently got a bunch of OptiPlex
960 Small Form Factor computers for the public, with Dell UltraSharp
1908FP Flat Panel with Height Adjustable  Stand monitors (19").  They're
not out for the public yet.  I like the clean look of mounting the
computer on the back of the monitor but I talked it over with our head
of adult services and we decided it would be easier for patrons to get
their CD's and flash drives in and out if the computer were under the
monitor.  (This setup looks slightly bad because the monitor base hangs
off the side of the PC a little bit.)  Also, I wanted 19" monitors and
I'm not sure if you can get one where the PC mounts on the back.  19"
monitors aren't much more expensive than 17" these days, and web sites
are routinely designed for higher resolutions; our new public computers
will be set at 1024 x 768 so that most web sites will be useable and the
print won't be so small that it strains too many people's eyes.

Phil

Eric Maynard wrote:
> Just curious if anyone has had any recent experience purchasing
> low-profile or all-in-one PCs for use by the public.  What brand, model,
> costs, etc. did you go with?
>
> Or if not, is there any particular design or vendor that you suggest
> further investigation of?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric Maynard
> Head of Information Technology,
> Holmes County District Public Library
> Millersburg, OH  44654
>
> Email [emaynard at holmeslib.org <mailto:emaynard at holmeslib.org>]
> Phone [330.674.5972 x.224]
> Fax   [330.674.1938]
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
330-928-2117, ext. 109
pshirley at CuyahogaFallsLibrary dot org

believed to be clean.