[OPLINTECH] IM Chat Programs

Wale, Jeff jeff.wale at toledolibrary.org
Thu Oct 1 13:10:33 EDT 2009

All,

We are working on a new website and want to support live patron-to-department IM Chats  (no more than 6 to 8 locations). Besides Know-it-Now, is anyone using an IM chat program to connect patrons to internal departments? More specifically,

-What chat software are you using?
-I'm assuming you deployed a separate communication server?
-Do you backup and archive the chat sessions?
-Do you inform the patron that the session will be archived?
-Do you have any staff policies in place that address social networking or IM chat sessions?

Thanks for any information that you can share.

Jeff Wale
I.T. Manager
Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
325 Michigan Street