[OPLINTECH] Deep Freeze

Brenda Fisher fisherbr at oplin.org
Wed Oct 7 09:47:18 EDT 2009

I've used Deep Freeze, Centurion  Guard and  SteadyState to lock the
hard drives.   The only problem I've ever had really with SteadyState is
that it doesn't show an indicator that disk protection is OFF in the
public profile  and it is possible to reboot and have disk protection
fail to come on. (I don't think it does this as often with v2.5) That
said, I still use it on most of our public computers, I'm just more
careful to check it.   I've had less good luck with Deep Freeze doing
scheduled updating and I've found it a little clunky to work with in
that way, but I suspect it's just a matter of what I'm used to.  I
really liked the Centurion Guard key locks that came with the Gates
Granted PCs as they were easy for staff to understand.  No passwords, no
finding where to click to get the little box to come up, just shut them
down and turn the key.  Then turn them on again.  I purchased Centurion
Guard on some later PCs for consistency, but found that SteadyState
really worked out just as well and required less work for the staff.
I've regretted getting Centurion Guard on PCs & notebooks that didn't
have a place for a key lock.  I've had more problems with that software
being difficult to unlock. It may be a version difference.   It may be a
problem with the particular PCs.

Brenda Fisher
Highland County District Library