[OPLINTECH] Deep Freeze

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Oct 7 11:09:02 EDT 2009

One particular difference between the two that I found very notable
recently was how the changes are committed permanently to disk in SS
versus DF. I've been using DF for years, but have been keeping an eye on
SS as it has improved over the versions. I was recently prepared to take
another look at the latest version of SS, but happened to visit a
library that already had it installed and running...saving me the eval
time. We were trying to do a large number of workstation updates that
required numerous reboots. This quickly became VERY tedious with SS
because every time the workstation was rebooted, the changes had to be
committed to disk, which greatly increase the reboot cycle. If you're
just rebooting once, then this is more convenient than the DF method.
More than one reboot, however, and it becomes very considerably
worse/slower than the DF method.

In my own case, since time directly equals cost for my libraries, DF
pays for itself rather quickly in the time savings alone:  When I visit
a workstation, it usually involves numerous reboots.

Anecdotally, I also feel more comfortable with the DF method over the SS
method for locking the workstation hard drives against changes. It
appears SS can be unlocked by simply logging in as an administrative
user. Having apparently user-level disk protection like this seems more
vulnerable to me. DF requires a switch to be set ("Frozen" / "Not
Frozen") and then a full reboot to take effect. If a machine is
"Frozen", it doesn't care if you are an admin or a restricted patron
user, workstation changes simply will not stick past a reboot. Seems
like less attack surface to me, with the disk protection at a much more
basic/fundamental level.

Since it's free, I'll probably take another look at SS in a more
controlled environment to see if I can work around/with the hard drive
protection features, but I don't expect that it will compare favorably
enough yet to make me switch.

My 2 cents.

Chad

Ps. Full discloser:  I DO make a small profit in the sale of DF.
However, the profit I make on software isn't enough to cover my time and
hassle in quoting/selling it. I waste more time than I make up for in
profits. If I can find an open source or otherwise free product that
does as good a job, I'll drop DF in a heartbeat.

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --