[OPLINTECH] What you allow patrons to do on Public computers?

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Wed Oct 7 14:57:29 EDT 2009

I'm sure this has been addressed before and I apologize for bringing it up
again (if it has) but I was curious what you allow patrons to do on your
public computers.  Our public computers are running Windows XP and we use
Windows Steady State to lock them down.  We have configured SS to work in
the domain environment by downloading the Group policy template for SS.

Do you allow patrons to download anything to the local machine?

Yes, Patrons may download files to D:\Documents,  floppies, & usb drives.
All other file system access is restricted.  We use CD Burner XP Pro (OSS)
to burn CDs.

I have a batch file that runs at logon to delete d:\documents\*.* , then
recreate it.

I.E. iTunes?

We don't add iTunes to our pcs. I do have Floola on each patron pc. It's a
pretty good OSS that allows you to add music to an iPod without the software
that wants to keep all a patrons data forever on the pc.

  Or have any access to the file structure?

See 1st answer above

  Also, do you find it easier to manage the computers thru the domain (using
the GP template) or is it easier managing it locally via the Steady State
settings and setting the computers up in a workgroup?

Ours are in a workgroup. I prefer to keep our patron computers separate from
the domain.

Just trying to get a better idea on how to set a public computer up to give
the patrons the freedom to do things without giving up any security.

Jim Lack

Rocky River Public Library