[OPLINTECH] Microsoft: No TCP/IP patches for you, XP

Ron Woods woodsro at oplin.org
Thu Sep 17 12:56:48 EDT 2009

Microsoft: No TCP/IP patches for you, XP

Won't fix flaws addressed in Vista, says firewall can stymie attacks

By Gregg Keizer

September 14, 2009 02:10 PM ET

Microsoft
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9137060/Microsoft_Update_Latest_news
_features_reviews_opinions_and_more>  late last week said it won't patch
Windows XP for a pair of bugs it quashed Sept. 8 in Vista, Windows Server
2003 and Windows Server 2008.

The news adds Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and SP3 to the no-patch list
that previously included only Windows 2000 Server SP4.

"We're talking about code that is 12 to 15 years old in its origin, so
backporting that level of code is essentially not feasible," said security
program manager Adrian Stone during Microsoft's monthly post-patch Webcast
<http://edge.technet.com/Media/MSRC-Monthly-Security-Bulletin-Webcast-Septem
ber-2009/> , referring to Windows 2000 and XP.

"An update for Windows XP will not be made available," Stone and fellow
program manager Jerry Bryant said during the Q&A portion of the Webcast

More below

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9138007/Microsoft_No_TCP_IP_patches_f
or_you_XP

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms09-048.mspx

Well it looks like Microsoft is Abandoning Windows XP a little sooner than
we all thought. According to the Lifecycle policy, Windows XP SP3 is
supposed to received security related updates until 2014..I guess they had a
change of plans.

Ron Woods

Computer Services Manager

St.Clairsville Public Library