[OPLINTECH] Web sites want to install Adobe Reader when we already have it, requires admin

Ron Woods woodsro at oplin.org
Fri Sep 18 12:37:46 EDT 2009

Hi Phil:

This is common I find, it has an easy fix that works sometimes

As an Administrator, Open a Command line and type the following commands:

regsvr32 AcroRead32.dll
regsvr32 AcroIEHelperShim.dll
regsvr32 AcroPDF.dll

the above commands don't always work all the time. If you get messages
saying that it "failed" then its one of 2 things:

If the above options don't work, or you don't feel like doing all that...I
recommend Foxit Reader...its much lighter, less bloat, and works much better
than Adobe IMO It also doesn't suffer from the security vulnerabilities that
Adobe Reader does.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

I got tired of patching Adobe Swiss Cheese for a Reader, FoxIt uses only a
quarter of the memory Adobe does, the Download is only 5 MB compared to
Adobes 35 MB..Foxit Reader does "Everything" Adobe Reader does at a 8 MB
download, and installs in about 45 seconds....it also comes with a IE and
Firefox plugin....I love Foxit, so I promote it...it has relieved many
headaches for me...

Good luck Phil