[OPLINTECH] Dynamic map of the library

Matt Weaver Matt.Weaver at westlakelibrary.org
Thu Sep 24 12:27:52 EDT 2009

For anyone who might be interested, I created a dynamic map of our library using a zoomable map plugin. Icons within maps generate pop-ups that include info (like prices for our photocopiers) and links to relevant Website content (like meeting room policies). It uses the jquery javascript library.
Here's the map of Westlake Porter Public Library:http://www.westlakelibrary.org/?q=wpplmap
Here's where I got the plug-in:http://www.newmediacampaigns.com/page/a-jquery-plugin-for-zoomable-interactive-maps
My only issues have to do with Internet Explorer 6 and transparent images, but I should have seen that coming, frankly.
I created my own icons and the floorplan images were adapted from an image we had lying around.
This plugin was designed for a maps depicting facilities within a region, so it would be perfect for a multi-branch library as well.
I am working on a separate map for staff that would be a training tool for emergency procedures (locations of exits, fire extinguishers, etc), possibly lock-up procedures, too.
I hope to get another version in the catalog to direct patrons to materials.
The instruction in the link to the plugin was enough for me (plus a fair bit of trial and error), and there is a simple example project that you can download to see how it all really works.
Matt WeaverWeb Librarian
Technical Services
Westlake Porter Public Library
Westlake, Ohio 44145