[OPLINTECH] Planned power outage procedure

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Thu Apr 15 12:49:11 EDT 2010

I tend to agree with Chad but add server's to the list.

And for what it's worth...

Keep in mind, most outlet boxes, surge protectors etc. use a single pole
switch.
Only the Hot side of the line is disconnected. Ground and neutral pass
right on through.

This makes a remote possibility of AC coming in on neutral or even the
ground wire.

Sometimes neutrals can even come from a different transformer winding
than the Hot lead.
More common in plants but possible in large buildings.

A neutral can always become disconnected (or loose) giving strange problems.
I had a rubber batching control system in Guangzhou with 30 or 40
chattering relays as a result of a loose neutral.
Not good for them or the PLC's.     Definitely not good for a PC.
Luckily the Chinese tech had a screwdriver and plenty of time to tighten
a hundred or so terminals.
We caught it before any equipment damage.

Everything depends on the electrician.

Really safe is, pull the plug and use a voltmeter (or some dongle) to
test the circuit before plugging it back in.
Some surge protectors have wiring fault indication which should suffice.

Bob

R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074
Tel:  (740)-965-3901