[OPLINTECH] Planned power outage procedure

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Apr 15 13:44:56 EDT 2010

Forwarded with Dan's permission:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	RE: [OPLINTECH] Planned power outage procedure
Date: 	Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:53:09 -0400
From: 	Dan Will <willda at oplin.org>
To: 	'Chad Neeper' <cneeper at level9networks.com>
<4BC725A8.9040700 at level9networks.com>

Well, I not a retired electrician but, I worked quite a few summers with my dad who was a 50 yr. union electrician. We installed many upgrade services (from a 60 amp fuse box to 100 or 200 amp breaker boxes). He never told any of our customers, "You need to unplug .......before we turn your power back on." We did leave breakers for big draw items like air conditioners/furnaces, tripped especially if there were several units. This was more to keep the initial draw down, which might be a good idea at a library,( we have a demand meter on ours and all that juice at once, spikes a demand meter, which the electric co. loves....more money for them). As far as 110/120 volt items and any possible surges go, I wouldn't worry about it. Standard surge suppressors can handle any surges (unless you don't trust your electricians, in which case they shouldn't be working for you.)

Dan Will
Technology Supervisor
Meigs County District Public Library
willda at oplin.org
740.992.5813
740.992.6140 (fax)

The difference between fiction and reality?
Fiction has to make sense.
Tom Clancy