[OPLINTECH] [OPLINLIST] Open source state ILS, Evergreen project terminated

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Fri Aug 27 10:07:12 EDT 2010

Bob,
   I'm with you, Evergreen (which I've never had the opportunity to mess
with) & Koha are
 viable options. It would be a big feather in our caps if Ohio were able to
develop one of them in-house.
I don't want to add a negative to this but, I find that a lot of libraries
are afraid to bet the farm as it were,
on open source. Let's face it, a lot of our techies have grown up in the
Windows environment. I know I have.
I started with DOS 6 & Win3.11, and changing to Linux & Open-source is a big
step. I personally have been
playing with Debian & Ubuntu for several years, and such a switch "if" I
were the only user, would be
no problem but, I wouldn't be the only user and that's the rub isn't. We
have to help make our users
confortable with it. We are using 2 Linux based firewalls and I'm currently
working with Ubuntu & Drupal but,
the staff only see's the results & are unaware that they are using Linux.
I'm afraid that it will be several
more years before there is the necessary comfort level with Linux & open
source software.

Dan Will
Technology Supervisor
Meigs County District Public Library
willda at oplin.org
740.992.5813
740.992.6140 (fax)

"When you are growing up there are two institutional places that affect you
most powerfully:
the church that belongs to God and the public library that belongs to you.
The public library is the great equalizer."
Keith Richards