[OPLINTECH] [OPLINLIST] Open source state ILS, Evergreen project terminated

Travis McAfee mcafeetr at oplin.org
Fri Aug 27 16:59:02 EDT 2010

I can't claim everything I'm going to say here is factual, since it's been a
long time since I was involved in the state-wide ILS idea (even then, it was
very limited.) But the challenges were colossal even from the limited
vantage point I had.  It's been a few years, so I am woefully uninformed at
this point, but the crux of the problem before was communication between
library systems; both technologically and policy-wise.

Many consortiums right now are sort of rigged to work in such a way that the
consortium is considered the "main library" and member libraries are
configured as a "branch library".  At first this seems like a fine solution,
but when you realize that library policies statewide aren't standardized
(how much do you charge a day for a late book? What's the loan period for
item type X?  What items do you allow to circulate to other libraries?
Should you loan item XYZ to Library B if Library B won't loan you a similar
item?) this can really bog down the system with all the exceptions and rules
that must populate to every branch.

So the challenge becomes creating a system that can stand on its own, but
possesses the ability to do a federated search of other systems, and place
requests while also validating patrons using BOTH of the involved libraries'
policies.

The easiest solution, of course, is standardization of policies.
Considering the county I work in has 8 independent libraries, with 8
independently minded Boards, it's a high, high, high wall to climb.

I don't doubt that Ohio libraries have the technical talent to build/modify
an Opensource ILS to fit most our needs if we really mobilized.  I remember
some quoted numbers for building the SIP2 interface to make Evergreen or
Koha work 3 years ago.  While expensive, it wasn't overwhelming by any
stretch of the imagination...  But we techies have to remember that
regardless of how much money can be saved, administrators are tasked to
spend the tax dollars in the way they feel will best serve their community,
on behalf of the board.  If spending tens of thousands of dollars a year to
maintain the highest level of control of their collection is how they feel
it should be done, then I personally have to respect that because in my
position I'm a policy enforcer and not a policy maker.

Please don't think I'm trying to snuff out the idea-  I just think it's
important to note that the technology involved is only half the battle (or
less).

Travis McAfee
Systems Administrator
Way Public Library