[OPLINTECH] Internal DNS issue

Jim Lack J.Lack at rrpl.org
Tue Aug 31 12:32:40 EDT 2010

I'm hoping someone will be able to help us out with an internal DNS
issue we're having.  We have two domain controllers running our internal
DNS, (OPLIN) takes care of our External DNS records.  The internal
server's addresses are 192.168.0.5 and 192.168.0.34.  Our library's web
site is hosted at NEO and it's IP is 66.213.2.68.  Now externally, if
someone types in www.rrpl.org or rrpl.org, they are sent to the
library's web site.  Internally, if you type in www.rrpl.org, you are
sent to the web site. BUT, if you type in rrpl.org, you get this funky
web site dealing with IIS7.  It is pointed to the internal server(s).

Now if I ping rrpl.org (internally), I get the ip address of the
internal domain controller.  If I ping www.rrpl.org, I get the IP
address of the web site (hosted at NEO).  In DNS, we have an A record
for www, which points to NEO's web site.  Also in DNS, there are A
Records listed as "(Same as parent folder) for both the internal servers
(.5 and .34).  If I delete those two entries, ping rrpl.org, it will
give me the NEO IP address.  If I type in rrpl.org, it goes to the web
site.  This only last about an hour as this A record (same as parent
folder) re-populates itself.

What do I have to do to stop this from happening and to get rrpl.org to
work internally all the time?

Thank You,

Jim Lack