[OPLINTECH] Purchasing new PCs

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Feb 3 15:50:46 EST 2010

I'd go with plain old DVD-ROMs on most of the public computers. Maybe a
small percentage of writers on some of them, depending on your
demographic and expected patron usage. Most patrons seem to use USB
sticks as far as I've seen:  easier.  Check the prices on the drives,
though. On an odd occasion I've found writers cheaper than plain old
ROMs! Not often, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

I tend to stick with Intel processors AND mainboards, myself when I
build workstations/servers. The combination is almost always rock solid
with very low failure rates. It's might actually be such that I prefer
the Intel boards over the processor itself. That being said, however,
I've used AMD in the past and don't have a problem with the processors
at all. Between Intel processors, AMD processors, and the mainboards
they sit in...I'd suggest paying more attention to the boards.

2 cents.
Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --