[OPLINTECH] Recent website server attack

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Tue Feb 9 11:59:31 EST 2010

An FYI

Yesterday we noticed our website server was subject to at least an hour
of a scripted attack of about 7000 messages.
It APPEARED to be from an IP in Canada by someone using
   User agent identification Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 5.1; U; ru
   U for strong security and  ru for probably Russia

It resulted in:
Almost a denial of service, as the server CPU was close to 100% at times
Up to 784 emails sent back to us using our fill in form.

PHP and or mysql query's seemed to be part of the attack and they were
able to get some information from the server.
A few attempts were made but nothing seems to have been added to the server.

No financial or patron information is on this server.

Due to the network setup by Level 9 Networks there was only very minimal
internal disruption.

--
R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library