[OPLINTECH] #ARRA clarification

Stephen Hedges hedgesst at oplin.org
Thu Feb 25 12:12:48 EST 2010

After talking to quite a few librarians yesterday, as well as with Missy
Lodge and Tom Fritz, I think we need to clarify some things about the
proposed broadband stimulus statewide applications.

First, remember that the whole point of the ARRA was to create jobs and
stimulate the economy. In fact, as part of our statewide applications we
will have to provide a reasonable estimate of the number of jobs we will
be creating.

Putting more public computers in libraries--the State Library or "OPAL
I" application--is one tool toward creating jobs and stimulating the
economy. The intended use of this tool is training the public to use
computers effectively and thus increase their productivity--which is the
Connect Ohio or "OPAL II" application--which has tremendous potential to
stimulate local economies. The goal of the overall project is to reach
more citizens than currently use your facility, introducing them to the
value of broadband.

The OPAL I and OPAL II projects go hand-in-hand, and it is expected that
each library will participate in a portion of the OPAL II project.
Without a strong training and outreach component, the OPAL I application
will be significantly weakened. Without adequate numbers of computers in
libraries, the additional users won't have sufficient equipment. We need
to have strong OPAL I and strong OPAL II participation from
libraries. The main reason that they are separated into two portions is
in order to better qualify under the NTIA's eligibility guidelines.

Without your participation in the OPAL II portion, it is unlikely that
the number of computers will be justified, and the equipment grant may
be rejected. The number of computers assumes that your library system is
included in the Public Awareness campaign (within OPAL II) that will
drive additional patron traffic into your library. If you already have
sufficient technical support and/or training staff to deliver additional
training and to service these additional computers, you could ignore
those cost elements in your support letter. To some extent, new users
can be self-trained through the online Learn 2 (Learning Express)
curriculum where no trainers exist.

However, it is not the expectation of the State Library that you would
reject participation in OPAL II, which is designed to drive citizens to
your library for training and use of computers. The board letter should
address both components individually, not because they are optional
components, but because they are separate grants that are being
submitted as a collaborative program. Note that the "Library Board
Support and Match Letter" at
http://www.oplin.org/information-and-forms-statewide-arra-applications
is worded accordingly.

Now, the data spreadsheets some of you received from Connect Ohio are
pretty complex, because they deal with a lot of factors. (If you
responded to the Connect Ohio survey and did not get a spreadsheet, or
the data in your spreadsheet is corrupted, email
rtakach at connectohio.org.) What'll you see there are system-wide
recommendations calculated by Connect Ohio--and this system-wide data
has been aggregated into one row in the spreadsheet, which may or may
not be the row for your main library. (Connect Ohio is not familiar with
the relationships between your locations.) You'll also see
recommendations for training costs.

It is important to remember that all these recommendations assume that
you will provide some computers for training, and also that Connect
Ohio's public awareness campaign will drive more people into your
libraries wanting to use computers. Without a training component, it
will be hard to justify requesting that number of computers.

Connect Ohio's goal is to create about 100 full-time equivalent trainers
across the state. (This will be the direct job creation component of the
statewide applications.) They are very interested in sub-contracting
with libraries to supply these trainers. So if your library has staff
you'd like to retain or re-hire who can do computer training, it is
possible you could cover 70% of their cost through the Connect Ohio OPAL
II grant application.

I hope this clarifies a few things. I encourage you to talk with Tom
Fritz today (614-220-0190) if you have questions about how your library
can participate in the training portion of the statewide applications.
And please, as you send Missy Lodge your equipment requests today and
tomorrow, try to include some computers for training use, not just for
general Internet access.

--
Stephen Hedges, Director
2323 W. Fifth Ave., Suite 130