[OPLINTECH] Userful Desktop/Multiplier

millerst@oplin.org millerst at oplin.org
Fri Jul 23 09:37:51 EDT 2010

We're using Userful's DiscoverStations.  They're not a bad option for
session management and print control.  Like any fleet of computers, there
are issues, the main problem is the old Christmas Tree Light phenomena -
when one light goes out, they all go out (e.g. if you have to reboot a
'pod' of 6 computers, when the single computer goes does, so do the entire
bank of workstations).

In general, the maintenance and customization issues are no worse than a
fleet of individual Windows workstations, and the support team does a very
good job of responding to needs.

Training needed is minimal.

Staff report that the remote session management (DiscoverAssist) is
invaluable for resetting workstations or adding session time from the
staff desk.

HTH
Steve
--