[OPLINTECH] Backup Software for Servers

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Mar 18 16:46:40 EDT 2010

I've had some false starts along these lines as well, using FOSS. The
capabilities are there, I just haven't been able to dedicate the time to
working with the various available software. Here's a list of some of
the network-centric backup software out there that I'm aware of:

Amanda (http://www.amanda.org)
BackupPC  (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net)
Bacula  (http://www.bacula.org)
good ole' rsync  (http://www.samba.org/rsync)
Areca Backup  (http://www.areca-backup.org)

Bacula seems to be a very popular enterprise-level backup. Amanda may be
second in line.

Areca is touted as a "personal backup" software, so if you're just
backing up the one server to its own tape drive, Areca might fit your
requirements.

My own goal is to be able to 1) use FOSS backup software at my clients
instead of BackupExec   and 2) to be able to have a hard drive-based
backup server running at my office that I can use during off-hours to
regularly back up select individual folders and files from my clients'
servers and even select workstations. After developing it, #2 would cost
very little to operate, but it would be a good second line of defense
for my libraries & schools. Not all of them are very good about their
backups. Even fewer regularly take a backup off-site.

Just some thoughts,
Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --