[OPLINTECH] MSi All-in-One computers

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Mar 31 14:14:52 EDT 2010

Someone brought up a very good point off-list. He mentioned that, "you
might be trading innovation and small footprint for increased
maintenance and service headache." That would certainly be a risk with
these types of all-in-one units. If, for instance, the mainboard or the
LCD display fails, you're forced to deal with the manufacturer for a
replacement. This is pretty much guaranteed down-time.

However, what made me take a second look at the MSi All-in-One is the
simple fact that there are a few different models to choose from:  There
is the "pre-packaged" model, which comes ready to go, complete with OS
out of the box. But there is also another set of models which are more
"whitebox" or barebone models. It looks like you add the 3.5" hard
drive, RAM, CPU, and OS. The LCD (obviously), DVD-ROM, and mainboard are
pre-installed. There would still be issues if the mainboard, LCD or
DVD-ROM failed, but the other components should be more readily replaced
without necessarily involving the manufacturer. So...the "pre-packaged"
models are very likely to also have easily-replaceable components.

One thing I haven't been able to find on the web site is how long the
warranty is. If it's a one-year warranty, then I'd probably stop right
there. If it's a three-year manufacturer warranty, then I'd continue to
look at them. When it comes to component quality, warranty seems to be a
good indicator of the level of confidence the manufacturer places in the
longevity of their components. (Have you ever noticed that the warranty
on 2.5" laptop hard drives are almost always a 1-yr warranty? The
manufacturers know darn well that, even idling, the hard drives tend to
run very hot in laptops...often above the 55 degree Celsius spec.
Without precautions, HDs in laptops don't tend to last under extended
use. Solid State drives are more likely to have a better warranty. They
also don't overheat in the laptops. Check your own laptop. See how often
it approaches or exceeds 55C!)

Anyway...

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --