[OPLINTECH] Upgraded to IE 8

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu May 6 10:55:27 EDT 2010

I found a reference on Experts Exchange asking that same question
specifically with regards to IE8 and not IE7. The accepted answer was
the same as what you've already tried, however. Two things strike me. 1)
The solution apparently worked for WinXP. No mention of Vista/Win7.  2)
case sensitive.

Experts Exchange link (for those of you that subscribe):
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Internet_Email/Web_Browsers/Internet_Explorer/Q_24897305.html?sfQueryTermInfo=1+comput+ie8+put+risk+secur+set+your

For those that don't, here's the important parts:
Original Question:
"I have been trying to test IE8 for use within our Agency but continue
to get this warning: "Your security setting level puts your computer at
risk"
I am aware that starting with IE7 (Which our agency never went to, so we
are still using IE6) Internet Explorer checks your browser settings and
if Microsoft doesn't like the settings it will give you this warning. I
need to find how to disable this warning and preferably in a manner that
we could create a Group Policy so we don't have to manually disable when
we push out to all users."

Accepted Solution:
"I found a way to get around it in XP.

- Open regedit (Start > Run > regedit )
- Navigate to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Security
- If those key don't exist, you'll probably have to create them. They
are case-sensitive !!!
- Now, create the following DWORD (CASE SENSITIVE !!!):
DisableSecuritySettingsCheck
- Give this DWORD the value: 1
"

(So...Uh...What kind of plagiarism laws did I just break?)

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --