[OPLINTECH] N computing FOLLOW UP

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Fri Oct 15 09:29:36 EDT 2010

  Yesterday I saw Ncomputing in action at OSG.

They have a bunch of U  Series
See link for info and videos
http://www.ncomputing.com/product-useries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDkC-1gF5Q&NR=1&feature=fvwp

OSG has some Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz  w/4GB ram PC's
One LCD, Mouse, and k/b connect to the PC as usual
Three others each connect to their own U 170 box (size about 1"x3"x6")
It has a special USB cable back to the Dell

S/W was Windows7 with 6 desktop shortcuts to various Genealogy databases
The director said DeepFreeze, no anti-virus, MS Office.
He said they were isolated on their own network.
He said they saved thousands of dollars with the setup.

U 170's are USB powered, but a powered USB hub is required at each station, for
memory stick use
Does not seem to allow for cd/dvd r/w, unless maybe USB cabled to the HUB

Multiple Users on a Single OS Requires Microsoft Windows Server Licensing
See http://www.ncomputing.com/WindowsMultiUserLicensing

Due to to the nature of OSG there won't be many (if any) of the younger patron
type apps running.
No music, videos, etc.
The CPU was just loafing, but nothing was running.
Time Warner provides the service to the building.

http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=2000164  $89 per U 170 box

Not sure about the shutdown control.
Hopefully there is some restriction to keep a patron from shutting down the
system with others still on.

One patron was logged on to Ancestry.
Another could use it, but when they logged out, both logged out.

R. W. (Bob) Neeper
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074