[OPLINTECH] [OPLINLIST] Open source state ILS, Evergreen project terminated

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Wed Sep 1 15:29:39 EDT 2010

  If Jim's proposal floats, the SEO demo server should certainly be available,
it has Evergreen version 1.6.0.0 installed.
A lot of work seems completed and it has been paid for as part of the initial grant.
As Equinox was involved it should be spec'd out correctly.

 From a January 14, 2010 press release at
http://www.library.ohio.gov/Marketing/PR/2010/January
"As part of an evaluation process for the project, the Open Source ILS software,
Evergreen, was installed at the SEO Library Center. Hardware was purchased and
installed and 25% of the SEO Consortium bibliographic data was migrated to the
demo database"

Early spring  2007 Indiana State Library and Hussey - Mayfield Memorial Library
were brainstorming about open Source ILS.
They expected to *save *the 238 libraries about *$15M per year* after most
libraries came on line.
They said, most installation and maintenance costs would be funded by them with
Federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grants.

They have a lot of information on how they went from 0 to 72 libraries in 4 years.
Including a lot of preliminary procedures, which would save a lot of work.

It seems as if they did a quick but thorough evaluation, then found a way do do
the project, using Equinox.

A contributing factor as to why Ohio took 4 years to evaluate the project may
be, Equinox was busy because Indiana was doing it?

R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074
Tel:  (740)-965-3901