[OPLINTECH] Such a deal ! Disquettes 90mm

Nathan Eady oplintech at galionlibrary.net
Fri Apr 15 14:30:40 EDT 2011

millerst at oplin.org writes:

> what *is* the most archaic equipment anyone has, either in-use or
> squirreled away someday pending a Prehistoric PC auction on eBay?

The oldest things we're still actively using here (excluding things
where vintage is essentially irrelevant, like power cables and PS/2
keyboards) are probably the TSP 400 thermal receipt printers, vintage
1995ish.

"Jeffrey A. Garringer" <jgarringer at pickawaylib.org> writes:

> I have (2) Compaq Portable machines in my office closet.  Portable
> meant luggable!  Believe they were 8088 with 1 MB of RAM.  Keyboard
> unlatched to reveal the screen and disk drives.  Loved the amber
> screen.

Speaking of amber screens, we've got a couple of VT510s sitting around
in the attic, complete with LK411 keyboards.  Oh, and I think I've still
got some category-4 cable around, with MMJ connectors on the ends.

At home I've got a Microvax 3100-40, as well as an ITT XTRA, although
the CGA monitor for the latter is blue-only; the red and green tubes no
longer work.  Also, the 20MB hard drive died, but the 360K floppy drive
still worked last time I checked.  The ITT XTRA is decked out with an
expansion card that gives it a real-time clock (battery long-since dead)
*and* expands its memory capacity all the way up to 640K.  I hardly ever
turn either of these on, though; they're still around mostly for
sentimental reasons.

Oh, and there's a beige rotary-dial wallmount phone from the seventies
that would work fine if I ever fix the plaster that supports (or,
currently, doesn't support) the wall jack.  (It was beige not because
anyone was very excited about getting beige specifically but rather
because the available color selection was limited back then.  You could
also get black, but that was the more boring option at the time because
a few years earlier all phones were black.)  We rented it from the phone
company initially then later bought it and took it with us when we moved.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library