[OPLINTECH] Print server issues

Josh Proffit jproffit at lickingcountylibrary.info
Thu Aug 25 22:29:50 EDT 2011

 I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone, you've all given great ideas and I'm glad that we all seem to think along the same lines. And so...through the process of elimination, the problem has been solved. It was an issue at all workstations with any printer hosted by that print server...which helped point the finger at the server.

Printing a PDF from Office from a work station resulted in the same problem with the bloated PDF files in the spool. Printing direct from work stations to the printer was OK. As I mentioned before, office documents printed just fine but then again, they don't typically get as large as PDFs. However, printing a PDF directly from the server was super fast...that raised an eyebrow. Then as I was attempting to move a file from a share on another server to the desktop of the print server, I noticed it was incredibly slow as well...other eyebrow raised.

Now here is an even weirder bit, Internet speed was top notch on the server when downloading a driver from a website, but I decided to investigate the NIC just because at this point I had ran out of anything else to blame...after coming up empty handed (honestly, I had nothing showing fault with the NIC) I decided to uninstall the NIC driver anyway and then reinstall in in device manager. The internet gods as my witness, it cured it instantly. Everything is working fine now?? I downloaded the latest NIC driver from Dell and installed it to be on the safe side but...what? You ever fix something -and happy its working- but you're just not sure what you just did to fix it? It'll be interesting to see how long this "fix" lasts but, so far so good.

Joshua Proffit
System Administrator
Head of Information Technology Services
Licking County Library