[OPLINTECH] wireless router recommendation?

Nathan Eady oplintech at galionlibrary.net
Thu Feb 17 12:40:48 EST 2011

"R Young" <roger.young at oplin.org> writes:

> I am hoping someone has a recommendation for a replacement that
> ideally would allow us to connect our own computers to one channel,
> while dhcp'ing (is that a word?  no matter--you get my meaning) our
> internal ip addresses.  On another channel it would give out a
> different set of ip addresses for public use.
>
> Does anyone know of such an animal?

I realize this isn't what you asked for, but my recommendation would
be to have two separate wireless access points.

A significant advantage of this approach is that you can plug them in
to physically separate network segments, so that traffic of any kind
(including data-link-layer traffic) *cannot* pass between the staff
systems and the patron systems (except for traffic that is forwarded
by the firewall/router that connects the network segments, which you
configure to only forward specific types of traffic that you actually
need to have forwarded).  Better isolation is an important component
of better security.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library