[OPLINTECH] Patron use of Public computers

Phil Shirley pshirley at CuyahogaFallsLibrary.org
Fri Jul 8 11:46:22 EDT 2011

Of course, you'd be making your network vulnerable to whatever patrons
installed (or whatever malware they got), but I guess you could firewall
the public computers from the rest of your network to minimize the risk
(and have firewall software on the public computers to protect them from
each other), though as far as I know you can't run a Windows domain
through a firewall so you'd have to manage the computers in another way.

Phil

On 7/8/2011 11:41 AM, Phil Shirley wrote:
> How could you let people install software that required admin and
> rebooting, though you had DeepFreeze and didn't want to give them admin
> rights? I guess, maybe, theoretically, you could: Do everything you're
> already doing, rebooting between patrons and using Deep Freeze. Add one
> more program that people can run: vmware. Let them open up a virtual
> Windows machine that they can do anything they want to, including reboot
> with changed saved. Then when they're done they close that virtual
> machine, log off of their actual machine and deep freeze puts the actual
> machine (including the virtual machine files) back to the way they were.
> It's a little complicated and probably not worth it, but it might be a
> solution if you really want to do it. This would even allow you to make
> various operating systems available to patrons: different versions of
> Windows (for people who had a preference or wanted to learn one) and
> different Linux distributions. Loading updates would be a bit more work,
> but of course you would do it once and copy the vmware files to all the
> computers.
>
> Phil
>
> On 7/8/2011 10:53 AM, Jim Lack wrote:
>> Does anyone allow their patrons to load software on the their public
>> computers? We are putting together a new Windows 7 profile for our
>> Public computers. The profile is a mandatory profile in a Windows server
>> 2008 environment. We will be implementing Deep Freeze as well. We have
>> done some initial testing with allowing this user to load software.
>> Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Some installs require the user
>> to have admin privileges and some installs require reboots. There is no
>> way I want to give this user admin privileges and with Deep Freeze, that
>> takes care of installs that require a reboot (it wipes them out!).
>> Looking for some input here. Please give me your thoughts and ideas on
>> this subject.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Jim Lack
>>
>> Network Manager
>>
>> Rocky River Public Library
>>
>> 1600 Hampton Rd.
>>
>> Rocky River, OH 44116
>>

>> --
>> dangerous content by *MailScanner*<http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
>> believed to be clean.

Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
330-928-2117, ext. 109
pshirley at CuyahogaFallsLibrary dot org

believed to be clean.