[OPLINTECH] Troubles with Windows 7 and mandatory profiles

Jim Lack J.Lack at rrpl.org
Mon Mar 21 10:57:38 EDT 2011

Looking for some advice because we're stumped with a problem we've run in to.  We are running Windows server 2008 and have just started rolling out Windows 7 to our staff computers.  The problem we're running into is with our mandatory profiles.  We use mandatory profiles for our Circ, Children and Adult logins.  To this point, we've only rolled out the Children's profile.  Here is the scenario that is occurring:

Children's log on at the beginning of the day.  Everything works fine.
At the end of the day, they log off.
The next day, when they go to log in, they get the following error msg; "The User Profile Service service failed to logon.  User Profile cannot be loaded".  In order to get the login to work, we have to go to the computer and remove the profile. (Computer > Advanced Settings > User Profiles)

We've gone out to Microsoft's web site and have Googled this error message but so far have not come up with a fix.  MS site had a solution to fix this via a GP setting (Computer Config > Admin Template > System > User Profiles and set "Delete cached copies of Roaming profiles" to enable.  Even though it states Roaming profiles, it should work for mandatory profiles as well.

Thank You,

Jim Lack
Network Manager
Rocky River Public Library