[OPLINTECH] Dropbox and File Sharing

Nathan Eady oplintech at galionlibrary.net
Wed Oct 5 12:16:09 EDT 2011

Karl Jendretzky <jendreka at oplin.org> writes:

> My curiosity got the best of me.
>
> -5 Tests
> -Each 60 seconds long

Sixty seconds is a fairly short test.  I did admit that Dropbox usage
would tend to produce spikes.  However...

> Minecraft: .285 Mbps; 2MB downloaded (runs at about 100Kbps after
> initial area loaded. Probably a bad example of an online game due to
> abnormally large amount world data)

I would expect the games with a lot of rapidly (and eratically) moving
objects (think: large dogfights) to hit the bandwidth hardest.

Nonetheless, the 100Kbps figure is lower than I would have imagined for
ongoing bandwidth in a multiplayer game.

The YouTube figures are rather higher than I would have imagined.  I'm
accustomed to thinking of YouTube videos as being very low-res with the
everliving tar compressed out of them lossily, but apparently the video
quality on there (and thus the file size) has been increasing of late.

I suppose too that I probably have a higher tolerance for latency (and
thus for brief spikes in network clogging) than average.  (I developed
most of my core internet-using habits when I had dialup...)

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library