[OPLINTECH] Need help from a Mac user

Phil Shirley pshirley at CuyahogaFallsLibrary.org
Thu Aug 16 16:29:23 EDT 2012

Could someone who has a Mac with OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8 help me
with something? In order to create scripts for automatically adding our
network printers to patrons' Macs so they can print wirelessly here, I
need someone with a Mac to find a couple of filenames, insert them into
3 scripts, then compile and compress the scripts and send them to me.
There are specific instructions below. Thanks for any help you can give
me with this.

First of all, on your Mac, find the printer PPD (Driver) filename (in
/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources; it has the extension .gz,
like Brother HL-5250DN series.gz) for each of these printers:

HP LaserJet 4200n
HP LaserJet 4650n

For each of the three scripts below, could you change something.gz to
the filename you found above for that printer (the black printers are
4200s; color is 4650), then save the script in a text file as spot.scpt,
and then follow this procedure:

1. Open the file "spot.scpt" in the AppleScript Editor
2. Click Compile.
3. Click Save/Save As and enter the name "InstallPrinter".
4. Choose the File Format of Application.
5. Uncheck all boxes except Run Only.
6. Save the file.
7. Find the file in Finder, then right-click it and select Compress
"InstallPrinter".

Then email the files to me. Thanks!

do shell script "lpadmin -p BlackWhiteUpstairs -E -v
ipp://spot.cuyahogafallslibrary.org:631/printers/BlackWhiteUpstairs -P
\"/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/something.gz\""
display dialog "The printer BlackWhiteUpstairs is now ready to use."

do shell script "lpadmin -p BlackWhiteChildrens -E -v
ipp://spot.cuyahogafallslibrary.org:631/printers/BlackWhiteChildrens -P
\"/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/something.gz\""
display dialog "The printer BlackWhiteChildrens is now ready to use."

do shell script "lpadmin -p SPOTCOLOR -E -v
ipp://spot.cuyahogafallslibrary.org:631/printers/SPOTCOLOR -P
\"/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/something.gz\""
display dialog "The printer SPOTCOLOR is now ready to use."

Phil
--

Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator