[OPLINTECH] Hardware purchases

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Wed Dec 19 08:36:10 EST 2012

To answer the original question, here is a list of my vendors:

Global Gov Ed (Tiger Direct corporate)
I buy small parts, printers, compare Tiger deals with Global for better pricing.
Jack Gephart
8663100116
Jack.Gephart at GlobalGovEd.com
GlobalGovEd.com

B2B a.k.a. IT Savvy
Scott was a long time Global rep and provides good pricing on systems. The web site is a bit complex and shows "sell" price not "buy" price. Once you ask for a quote the price is adjusted.
Scott Gibson
B2B Computer Products LLC
312-676-5237
312-676-5238 fax
teamohio at b2bcomp.com
http://www.itsavvy.com/

CDWG
Again good prices on systems and small discounts on Apple products. If you want 100 iPads tomorrow CDWG is the place to shop.
Jeff Jones   |   (866) 668-9487   |   jeffjon at cdw.com

MNJ
Good prices on systems. Kevin was the CDWG rep for many years.
Kevin Cowan
MNJ Technologies
Senior Account Executive
Toll Free: 800-870-4340 EXT 8338
Direct : 847-876-8838
Fax: 847-876-5638
AIM: Kcowan01
www.mnjtech.com

Systime
Offers "off lease" systems. Good for replacing older units. For example they currently have a Dell 745/monitor bundle. I buy laptops from them, because I'm not excited about circulating a $700 laptop, although the price delta between new and refurbished is getting tighter. Worth getting on their mailing list.
sales at systime.com
https://www.systime.com/

D & H
D&H is a nationwide wholesale dealer. It requires membership. If you're buying from a local system rebuilder or building a large number of systems yourself it's worth joining. You can also price check your local vendors. I use this mostly for Goodwill and for example the "buy" price for a wireless mouse is $4.50 and the suggested "sell" price is $10.
https://www.dandh.com/

Without engaging in an exercise in F.U.D.D (No one was ever fired for buying IBM), I tend to buy branded systems, look for extended warranties, and bundles as in a desktop with a monitor. I'm currently in a Dell cycle, but looking seriously at HP because of its one-piece touch screen option. Sorry, but I don't want to support 300 homemade systems.
I guess I'm not really a hardware geek, although I've been building systems for 25 years, and  my home computer is a homemade Fedora system running five operating systems.
I think that at the end of the day, for work, and with several hundred computers to support, I'm governed mostly by price.
In the Fall I look at next year's refresh cycle, try to get a feel for where systems are going, do some window shopping, set a price point (about $800 for a desktop with monitor) and do my budget.
After the first of the year I ask my vendors for best pricing on an $800 system.

HTH

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library