[OPLINTECH] clever children...

R Young roger.young at oplin.org
Wed Feb 22 16:35:12 EST 2012

... have found a way to circumvent our pc reservation time limit system.
they log on as usual, then launch a program called process explorer to kill
the pcreservation program.  this allows them to stay on for an unlimited
amount of time.

I just discovered this today, and the things I have tried have not been
foolproof in preventing them from launching the program.  We allow people to
save to flash drives, and I don't want to restrict that.  However, using
Windows 2003 server, and setting restrictions on launching programs from
removable media doesn't prevent a user from launching process explorer from
a flash drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Is there something I have overlooked.
(Parenthetically, this program seems like it would be a handy tool for
techies looking for a quick way to close programs; much more elegant than
task manager--and free, to boot.)

thanks for any help