[OPLINTECH] Network Port Scanners

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Feb 24 12:10:43 EST 2012

nmap (www.nmap.org) is the defacto standard port scanner in the linux
world. It has also been ported to Windows and has a GUI front-end to
make it a little more palatable for people less familiar with command
line arguments. Very powerful. Not for the faint at heart.

Wireshark (www.wireshark.org) might also prove useful to you. Hugely
powerful, it can provide huge insights into how your network operates.

These tools have been actively developed for years and are very well
supported.

People have made careers out of support at this networking level; it can
become rather complex. However, if you can get at least a basic
understanding of how your network really operates, the
knowledge/experience can be very valuable.

Two cents,

/Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools/