[OPLINTECH] Computers for users with disabilities

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Jan 6 18:03:12 EST 2012

One of my libraries is interested in providing a computer for people
with disabilities. The library has a very active oversize collection,
and would definitely like to cater to people with degraded vision. But
we're also interested in making it as useful as possible to multiple
disabilities. Does anyone have (or have seen) a setup you think is
particularly good. We're interested in more than just providing access
to the standard set of Windows Ease of Access tools, which are easily
available on all the patron computers already. We're thinking along the
lines of hardware solutions as well as software:  extra large display, a
mouse (or other pointing device) and keyboard more friendly to users
with poor dexterity, etc. We're certainly willing to look at a
pre-kitted setup (think Early Literacy Station kids' computer) rather
than a custom setup too, if anyone knows of a manufacturer that
specializes in this area.

While I'm sure there will eventually be a cap on the amount of money
spent on this, right now we're just looking for ideas and options with
no cap in mind.

Thanks!

/Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools/