[OPLINTECH] SSD Drive per Chad's Thoughts during" Suggestions for hardware vendors"

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Wed Jun 27 15:30:34 EDT 2012

My Dell Laptop WD 160GB drive reached the usual 3 year limit and started to fail
so Chad got me a Intel SSD 320GB.
The WD showed 3 partitions and 2 <gap> per Spinrite

Clonezilla had a problem copying C:, just getting E: and the boot.
So I rebuilt the OS on the SSD instead

The Windows Experience Index Base Score remained at 3.1, because the same
graphic card.
But the Primary Hard Disk score increased from 5.3 to 5.9

Boot time to a useable system went from 5 + minutes to  less than a minute.
But I'm sure the reduction is not all due to the SSD as there was 3 years of
'stuff' on the WD.

Heat generation is almost nil.  The fan just doesn't turn on.
No need for any defrag's, not required with SSD.

So now I have a hard drive costing more than the laptop.

Chad also put an SSD in the Director's PC last year and one in the PC we just
got for a new microfilm scanner.
Both are working well.

Email Signature

R. W. (Bob) Neeper