[OPLINTECH] OpenDNS content filter question

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu May 3 23:26:35 EDT 2012

I've used (and liked) OpenDNS as a reliable DNS service. However, I just
tonight set up the free content filter service for my home network to
evaluate it as an alternative to DansGuardian. With the OPLIN/OpenDNS
content filter contract in mind, I've run across a bit of a conundrum
and was wondering how libraries using OpenDNS were handling it:

The issue I'm having is with image search engines. Google's Image Search
was my test case. With OpenDNS set to filter out the nasty sites, I did
a simple image search for "nude". Since I was only looking at Google's
cached images hosted at the google.com domain, I was naturally not
restricted in any way. Only when I tried to actually visit the source
site did OpenDNS step in and prevent me. To eliminate the loophole, I
could presumably enable the option in OpenDNS to block image search
sites, but that would presumably also eliminate the very valuable image
search service.

Due to the nature of how OpenDNS blocks sites using DNS, it seems to me
that there is a glaring hole here. The problem is certainly big enough
and so easily duplicated that my libraries, which have been very happy
with DansGuardian, are going to have a big issue with it.

Is there a feature in the contracted Enterprise version that helps to
close this loophole? If the answer is, as I suspect, "NO", then how are
your libraries keeping your young adults from simply going to Google
Images and doing their potentially offensive searches?

/Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools/