[OPLINTECH] need help with a project

Shelley Bylica bylicash at oplin.org
Thu May 17 18:57:39 EDT 2012

Stephen,

 I do not see why they could not set up a server in their front room that
has a wireless receiver to access your Wi-Fi and then physically network the
computers in the other two offices to the server and piggyback that way. I'm
not exactly sure how it could be done as my knowledge of networking is
limited to knowing what an IP address is, but I think that it should be. If
they set the server up with DHCP (as opposed to static IP), that would be no
different than someone using their laptop in the parking lot of your
library.  If you require that people sign into your Wifi before they use it,
then someone at the historical society would need to keep an active card and
sign the server into the Wifi with every use.

If they need to obtain a server and they have 501 c3 status, they always
could obtain one at lower cost through TechSoup.

Good luck.

Shelley Bylica
Public Services Librarian,
Marvin Memorial Library.