[OPLINTECH] Power Conditioners

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Nov 9 11:43:51 EST 2012

I've been using and recommending APC for all surge suppression and battery
backup needs for many years and have always had very good success with
them. Regardless of the manufacturer, though, the most important thing to
consider is to ensure that you get a correctly sized unit to support your
equipment. In the case of a battery backup, you'll need to ensure that the
dependent equipment will continue to run at least long enough to safely
shut down.

APC used to (probably still does) make power conditioners in addition to
surge suppressors and battery backups. You said you're looking for a power
conditioner. A power conditioner only smooths out the line...it's useless
in the event of power outages. If that's what you need, then fine. But if
you really want battery backup, make sure you're looking at the right
product line! The UPSes will have the power conditioning plus battery plus
surge suppression.

Something else to consider:  Personally, I usually plug a surge suppressor
into the wall outlet. Then plug the UPS into the surge suppressor. Then the
protected equipment into the UPS. I figure it's cheaper to replace the
surge suppressor than it is to replace the UPS and it's cheaper to replace
the UPS than the equipment plugged into it. The system has served very well
over the years!

If you want good information on the general workings of suppressors,
conditioners, and battery backups, APC's website used to have lots of good,
easy-to-digest, info. I assume they probably still do. They should also
have info on how to correctly size the UPS you need. (Presumably other
manufacturers will have similar info on their websites.)

2 cents.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*