[OPLINTECH] Public Web Browser (PWB)

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Aug 13 11:31:10 EDT 2013

On one of the misbehaving computers, you might check the Windows Event logs
to see if perhaps a policy isn't being set correctly or if something else
is showing up. Since you have multiple simultaneous failures to launch PWB,
it sounds like the server (AD) is controlling the PWB launch.

To answer your question, DHCP actually could affect how the workstations
see the network. In my own typical config, the primary DNS server is NOT a
Windows server. In this config, I need to be careful to make certain that
DHCP is handing out the Windows AD server as the sole DNS server for the
workstations. The Windows AD server is then configured to pull from the
"real" DNS server. In this indirect route a workstation takes to obtain DNS
info, the workstation has a chance to resolve AD names, which is required
for them to work correctly as AD members. Extrapolating on that, if your
DHCP server isn't configured correctly, it quite possibly could affect your
workstations, perhaps causing them to not be able to resolve names
correctly and thus not allowing policies to be applied correctly. But did
you actually make any DHCP or DNS changes about the time you started
experiencing problems? The T1 -> cable change probably wouldn't have caused
an issue if your AD server, DHCP and DNS servers are in your local network.

It might help to take a look at one of the working computers to see where
PWB is launching from. Then compare that against a non-working computer. If
the launch command is present on the non-working computer, then perhaps the
executable is missing or some such. In the past, I think I had the
executable stored in a central location. The workstations simply ran it
from the server. If the path to the server wasn't available, then PWB
wouldn't run. You may or may not get an error message on a workstation.

HTH. good luck!

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*