[OPLINTECH] Reading Literacy System (software/OS ect)

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Thu Jul 25 15:54:47 EDT 2013

OK
GCPL has some 20 AWE stations.
We have always had a spare, but our experience with AWE support is that they send you a loaner overnight to avoid downtime.
I doubt you can ghost them since you have no control...they are the most locked down computers I've ever seen. I'm too lazy to Google it but AWE stands for something like advance workstation systems and they have several other products. And yes they don't connect to the network, but do you really want kids printing hundreds of copies of dino dollars to your public printers?
I'm pretty sure you can still get the "ladybug" mice and our mice are black with yellow ears...maybe an early version of the touch screen computers.
We're getting headphones from Gayloard, but Ohionet used to sell supplies. I think I found Chestercreek a bit pricey for headphones.
I may be talking out of school here, but in years past AWE and Ohionet have had a group purchase/upgrade/tradin/ tied to the OLC trade show. We did a trade in and saved enough money to make it worthwhile.
If you have the service contract AWE sends out yearly updates via a USB drive so you get newer versions and additional versions of the software each year.
I remember Jamie Mason coming up to me at the trade show several years ago and saying "you gotta see this" so we bought and haven't looked back.
It's not that I'm getting lazy in my old age, but you buy them, turn them on, and never look back...I wish all my other public computer options were that easy and secure.

PS: If I were doing an open source computer I'd use Qimo
http://www.qimo4kids.com/
PSS: If I could lock a PC down I'd use the Zac browser:
http://zacbrowser.com/

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library