[OPLINTECH] How much server: 1 or 2 CPUs?

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri May 17 10:59:47 EDT 2013

I've been using virtual servers for years, and so that is what I use to
de-couple the individual servers from the hardware. It works beautifully
and allows for huge flexibility. For instance, I can upgrade the hardware
at any time without making a single change to any of the virtual servers,
which keeps the stress levels (both mental AND budgetary) way down.

For comparison, the last server I built was based on a single Xeon X5690
3.46GHz processor, which has 6 cores and is hyperthreaded (for a total of
12 effective processors seen by the operating system). The server runs the
free vmWare Hypervisor v5.x and has one Windows domain controller, a linux
server, and a Windows XP Pro pseudo-server. I have other lesser server
hardware running considerably more virtual servers out there all performing
very admirably.

If you're not comfortable with your single 2.2GHz quad-core, but don't want
to jump to a server board that supports two processors, you might look at
staying with a single-processor board, but using a better processor. That
might help keep the cost down, but still add growing room. Pay attention to
the speed of your RAM, too. It can affect your server's performance. Pay
the extra couple of bucks for the faster RAM. It'll be worth it in the long
haul.

WRT the RAID5, I'm a bit paranoid here. I like to have the RAID array
(usually a RAID 5 or RAID 1 mirror) for the redundancy, but also add a
global hotspare drive which isn't actually contributing to the array, but
is ready to jump in at a moment's notice in the event of a drive failure.
Two drives in the array failing within a few hours of each other isn't
terribly likely, so by having the hotspare, when the first drive in the
array fails, the hotspare takes its place and within a few hours the array
is back in optimal condition again and is able to handle a second drive
failure. So for the cost of the hotspare drive amortized over the lifespan
of the server, you've bought yourself some decent insurance at a very
reasonable rate....highly desirable over the alternative.

Just random thoughts. Hope they help.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*