[OPLINTECH] Inquiring about security/antivirus software for staff computers

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Sep 13 13:27:57 EDT 2013

A good site to reference for AV comparisons and ratings:
http://www.av-comparatives.org

In general, I think it's generally true that the upper-most tier...the
biggest, most well-known AV vendors...tend to rate pretty high and compare
fairly well to each other. I've also found that no matter what AV software
you use, it will never catch everything. There will always be something
that slips by it.

That being my experience, I tend to use Symantec Endpoint Protection for my
libraries because it's one of the top tier AVs out there and seems to work
well. It's also dirt cheap and easily obtained through Techsoup.

On the rare occasion a virus slips by Symantec, I'll usually scan the crap
out of the computer using as many free top-tier online scanners as I can
locate. It usually ends up taking scans from 3-5 other vendors to finally
root out whatever Symantec couldn't find.

My 2 cents.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*