[OPLINTECH] OPLINTECH Digest, Vol 95, Issue 2

Tim Burns tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us
Fri Sep 13 19:02:16 EDT 2013

Dear Braintrust,

Are there any OPLIN libraries that have moved away from (or not been there to start with) Microsoft Windows? In light of the virus-free MacOS, and inexpensive Linux and derivatives, it would make sense to give consideration. (At a Clevnet Tech meeting -- folks (Wayne County I think) were explaining some of the linux kiosk software and other utilities they use.)

Sincerely,
--

Tim Burns
Birchard Public Library

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 12:15:18 -0400
From: "Fred Miller Jr. " <millerfr at oplin.org>

I have recently came across a dilemma that we are having with the staff
computers at our central library and the branches. Even though we let the
staff browse on the computers where they would like to we're still having
trouble with the staff computers becoming infected with spyware and viruses
with Microsft Security Esstentials installed. I know this is a good free
antivirus, but it isn't doing the job anymore. Currently I have Trend Micro
Worry-Free Business Standard Security at my residence and have no problems
at all. Was wondering what all of the other IT people are setting up on
their staff computers to keep them clean?

As a side note, our wishlist is going to be due to try to get extra
equipment for the libraries. Was wondering what printers and wireless
routers people have gotten to upgrade theirs recently. Currently we just
have Cisco Linksys WRT54G which has a very poor coverage and distance from
main unit is pitiful. Just want to say thanks for all the feedback given for
this and have a great weekend.

Thanks again,

Fred Miller Jr