[OPLINTECH] Trend Micro

Tim Burns tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us
Thu Feb 6 08:29:51 EST 2014

Dear Folks,

I wanted to provide a synopsis of the responses I received. No one has spoken in favor of the TREND software. Granted, I received a minimal response, statistically- I believe I have enough information to make some judgement.? I'll paste the responses below(without proper attibution, to protect the innocent). I still haven't decided about the renewal-- am leaning against spending so much money. I appreciate the suggestions/guidance, am trying to make the best decision-- based on limit knowledge.

Just a tiny bit of background. I have been working in technology for 30 years. Mostly in school settings. Contrary to the expectations below, I have never been in a full-blown "infection" situation, those were on the one or two workstations running Windows OS. (it's been 20 years since I last had a virus on my personal computer) I don't run any anti-virus software. In my job before the library-- my server only ran ClamAV, and that was as a courtesy as it was serving mail. So this "just expect to get infected" mentality makes me quite anxious.

Paying extra for OS features rubs me wrong as well... so I like the MSE suggestion. (I am familiar with AVG and Spybot S&D ... and recommend those to friends with Windows OS-- I understand AVG is not approved for use in the library situation, bordering on a commercial use?)

I'm still not certain what TREND is doing, that MSE would not do. I believe it gives a (false?) sense of security.

Keep Warm!!
Tim Burns
Technologist
Birchard Public Library
We use Symantec Endpoint Protection that we get through Tech Soup. I think the license was $3 a client which you cannot beat. We have a server administer the updates in house. Fairly easy to setup – I believe they also have a cloud base model for the same price.

Mike
-----------------------------
Ex- Trend (and Norton, in another life) deployer here. Since virus checkers get only about 60% of the viruses they encounter, even older viruses, on Windows I have found it cost-effective to use Micro soft?s free scanner (MSE) and avoid any third party products. Our incident levels have not gone up.

On the Mac, the clamav scanner front end ClamXav seems to work just fine, though Apple too has a built-in threat checker that is invisible to the user. Linux?clamav.

Steve
-----------------------------------
We switched from Trend to Norton several years ago after Trend missed a huge virus outbreak. Right now we use SEP and I?ve got no complaints.
I agree with Steve, you?re gonna win some and lose some.

Jim
--------------------------
Tim,
I have used Trend Micro for the last 3 years. I have had more staff computers in the system with viruses these last 3 years than ever had prior to using it (we had Symantec). Last year I started changing some of them to AVAST and some to Micro soft Essentials and have had no problems. If you have a server you can get the business edition of AVAST for free (to libraries, its called "Avast Free for Education program") if you don't have a server they do have a free edition that works good also and can be used in a public library setting. Micro soft essentials has revamped their free anti-virus and have had no problems with viruses either.

Just my two cents

Ruth
Thank you for taking my call today. See attached renewal for Trend Micro's Worry-Free Business Security.

May I ask that you forward my e-mail to the new CIO and the attached line card? We carry most of our manufactures on our GSA contract. I would like to participate with any current or future needs for IT tools. We have the contracts in place and the proactive approach to help when called upon. Happy 2014 and let us know how we can assist Birchard Public Library with meeting your security requirements. I would like to offer an overview how we can help.

FYI Imanami our Active Directory tool is under consideration with Ohio's US District Court.

Sincerely,
David